The Silver 8 has a new three-way design, optimised to deliver superb midrange focus and precision as well as extended bass. Effortless room-filling dynamics, even in larger spaces.
Speaker stand depicted in image gallery, courtesy of Atacama.
- Improved C-CAM® (Ceramic-Coated Aluminium/Magnesium) gold dome tweeter design with damped rear chamber and innovative dome venting technique for improved clarity and wider operating bandwidth.
- Specially developed 4” mid-range driver with ‘under-hung’ voice coil and motor system. The voice coil remains in the magnetic gap ensuring very low distortion - better damping and improved mid-range clarity.
- Dual 6” bass drivers featuring concave ‘dished’ C-CAM cone profile.
- RST® (Rigid Surface Technology) cone profile, for improved diaphragm rigidity and reduced distortion.
- Three-way configuration allows drivers to be optimised to deliver better overall performance.
- Improved cast polymer bass chassis design for better rigidity and reduced reflections.
- HiVe®II port technology delivers smoother airflow for better transient response and tighter bass.
- Single bolt through driver systems for increased overall bracing, rigidity and driver/baffle de-coupling.
- Pureflow® Silver plated OFC copper internal cabling.
- High quality crossovers with premium grade polypropylene film capacitors.
- Available in selected premium quality wood veneers or high gloss finishes.
- Rigid 20mm MDF construction throughout, employing radial and cross-bracing techniques for high rigidity and low cabinet colouration.
- Invisible magnetic grille fixing provides clean visual styling when the grille is off.
- Terminal panel at floor level for easy cable connection.
32Hz - 35kHz
Maximum SPL (dBA)
Power Handling (RMS)
Recommended Amplifier Requirements (RMS)
80 - 200W
Twin HiVe®II port System
Drive Unit Complement
2 x 6" RST® Bass drivers.
1 x 4" RST Mid-range driver.
1 x 1" (25mm) C-CAM® gold dome tweeter
Cabinet Dimensions excluding Grille, Terminals & Plinth: (HxWxD)
1000 x 185 x 300 mm
(39 3/8 x 7 5/16 x 11 13/16 inch)
Cabinet Dimensions including Terminals: (HxWxD)
1000 x 185 x 323 mm
(39 3/8 x 7 5/16 x 12 11/16 inch)
Cabinet Dimensions including Grille & Terminals: (HxWxD)
1000 x 185 x 335 mm
(39 3/8 x 7 5/16 x 13 3/16 inch)
Cabinet Dimensions including Plinth & Feet: (HxWxD)
1021 x 245 x 360 mm
(40 3/16 x 9 5/8 x 14 3/16 inch)
23.33 Kg (51 lb 6oz)
Silver 8 is Stereophile recommended!
The October issue of Stereophile featured an updated list of 'Recommended Components' and Monitor Audio's Silver 8 found a place in the CLASS B (FULL RANGE) section.
Kalman Rubinson stated that the Silver 8's midrange and bottom end are "remarkably solid and satisfying".
Rubinson also wrote "I can't say that listening in stereo via the Silver 8s was anything less than delightful".
Additionally, the Silver 8 is listed with three dollar signs ($$$), indicated its exceptional value among the list of CLASS B (FULL RANGE) loudspeakers.
"A welcome clarity" - Silver 8 Stereophile review
Reviewer Kalman Rubinson reminisces on what sets Monitor Audio apart, whilst enjoying the latest generation of our Silver series:
"Talk about hopes realised! From the second the system was powered up, the Silver 8s impressed me. I heard a welcome clarity in the midrange that gave all music a natural presence - precisely why I'd wanted a three-way with a dedicated midrange driver."
"I found an abiding source of pleasure in how the Silver 8 was never caught out by the bass information in any recording"
"I'm at a loss to point to any way in which, for its size and price, the Monitor Audio Silver 8 disappointed."
Read the full review in the January 2016 issues of Stereophile magazine.
AV Tech Media Awards 2014/2015: Silver 8
Hi-Fi News, Hi-Fi Choice and Home Cinema Choice have teamed up for the AV Tech Media Awards 2014/2015, naming Monitor Audio the winner in two categories!
Our Silver 8 floorstander was named "Best Floorstanding Speaker". "Bass is well articulated, midband is crisp yet smooth and treble is beautifully detailed. The Silver 8 delivers a rewarding performance with everything you throw at it, and is sublime at the price."
Read more in the AV Tech Media Awards supplement included with the Awards issues of Hi-Fi News, Hi-Fi Choice and Home Cinema Choice.
Silver 8; "Highly Recommended"
Steve Withers, Assistant Editor of AV Forums, has tested our Silver 8 speakers resulting in a Highly Recommended badge and a standout review:
"The performance was excellent, with the speakers delivering an open and warm soundstage that retained both detail and clarity. The positioning and localisation of instruments within the stereo imaging was also impressive and the mid-range was well served by the design, as was the low-end thanks to two 6.5" drivers. As a result the Silver 8s produced a sound that was rich and refined but also had plenty of range, meaning they can handle just about anything from female vocals to bass heavy rock to a full orchestra."
Hi-Fi Choice Magazine
Silver 8s awarded an Editor's Choice
Established reviewer David Price has tested our Silver 8 floorstanding speaker in the latest issue of Hi-Fi Choice.
Immediately impressing with all it offered the Silver 8 earned full marks, collecting 5 out of 5 stars and an Editor's Choice award! Following a gleaming review David concluded with it's all round strength:
"As any good football manager knows, the easiest way to win is not to lose - and the Monitor Audio Silver 8 is an arch exponent of this. It simply doesn't give goals away gladly; there's little weakness on show in any respect. This is an excellent all-round loudspeaker that most will really enjoy."
Read the full review in the August 2014 issue of Hi-Fi Choice.
Canada HiFi Magazine
Canada HiFi Magazine reviews Silver 8.
"What’s not to like?" Canada HiFi Magazine asked when they reviewed our Silver 8.
"I was not expecting this much involvement from such a modestly priced floorstander. I was testing it alongside a number of higher priced models, and it never embarrassed itself in their company. I suspect the gold domed tweeter is responsible for a good part of my satisfaction. It has a wide dispersion so you are not limited to a narrow sweet spot, and it offers excellent extension and strong levels of detail without sounding etched."
Read the full review here.
I was originally looking at a pair of RX8s to install in my home cinema. After hearing that a new Silver line was to be released late 2013, I knew that I should wait for them. After hearing them at an in store demo, I was blown away at how spacious, clear and accurate these were. Within 30 minutes, I'd ordered the Silver 8s, Silver Centre and Silver RX surrounds.
After installation and running in they just sounded better and better. A year later, I'm still enjoying every moment of the high explosive movies, soft gentle acoustics and crystal clear pin drops!
I highly recommend the Silver 8s, amazing value for money. Mine are in gloss black. Not only to they look amazing, but they sound even better!
The Monitor Silver 8 in beautiful natural oak. Now 4 weeks at home, I'm surprised they sound better and better every day. Sparkling far above human hearing great pure mid to very low bass This sound is stunningly beautiful if you are running on low volumes and remains extremely stable and equally beautiful also on hard volumes My regular listening and compare all good brands with own CD's in many showrooms in the last years has led to the best audiophile purchase. I listen carefully to music of sometimes light classical to often heavy rock, from metal to gothic. Both high female voice - to deep male voice come purely from the speakers. You recognize any Instrument apart in the interplay. The timbre of wind instruments and string instruments is very well recognizable. Beautiful in and separate from the speakers and spread over the full width of the room. Never had such good bass lines in my room. Now I fall in love when I listen to Tarja (turunen) or other beautiful female voices. These speakers make every day enjoyable. And pick up the deepest emotion from my LP records. Thanks for such a good design and construction with such good parts, Well worth the price for the next 10 years or more. Listened to Onkyo TX-NR808, Pioneer PL-630 with Project Preamp, Onkyo BD-SP809 and Mede8er Med800X3D.
I have just replaced my trusty old Silver 8i s with a gleaming piano black pair of Silver 8s. It as if a veil has been lifted! They keep getting better as they run in.. Wonderful midrange and great balance. They work brilliantly with my Naim Unitilite. Warmly recommended.
Add a review
You might also like
- Active Subwoofer with 12” concave C-CAM® driver
- Class D amplifier, DSP processing
- Automatic Position Correction (APR®)
- Top mounted control panel
- Three pre-set EQ mode settings
- Premium quality finishes
- Luxuriously finished 3-Way floorstander
- Updated Twin 5 1/2” RST® C-CAM® bass drivers
- Updated 4” RST C-CAM midrange driver
- New magnetically-fixed ‘floating’ cloth grille
- C-CAM ribbon transducer
- HiVe®II port technology
- Advanced in-wall speakers
- Integrated fully-sealed back box
- 8” C-CAM® RST® bass driver, C-CAM pivoting tweeter
- Tri-Grip® fixing system
- Trim-less, low profile, paintable grille
- High frequency level adjustment (3dB), Boundary compensation control